There are infinite versions of Indian lentil recipes. This is my take on Masoor Dal.
Author: Steve Cylka
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tomato, diced
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp tumeric
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 2 cups dried red lentils
- 2 cups water
- In a saucepan add oil and, at a medium high heat, fry the onion and tomatoes.
- When onions are transparent, about 5 minutes, add spices, garlic and ginger.
- Cook for 3 minutes to bring out the flavours of the spices.
- Add lentils and water.
- Bring to a boil and lower heat.
- Cover and simmer for about an hour.
- If the water is completely soaked up by the lentils add more, a little at a time.
- Serve with pappadums or naan bread.