We love this jelly on crackers with a bit of cream cheese. This jelly is not hot at all, but if you would like it to be spicier substitute more jalapeno peppers for the green peppers.
Author: Steve Cylka
Serves: 6 x 250 ml jars
- 13 Jalapeno peppers, tops cut off
- 1 green bell pepper, cored
- 6 cups sugar
- 1½ cup vinegar
- 2 packages (85 ml [3 fl oz]) liquid certo (pectin)
- green food colouring (optional)
- Place all the peppers in a food processor and puree the peppers with ½ cup vinegar.
- Transfer mixture to a large pot.
- Add remaining 1 cup vinegar and sugar.
- Heat to boiling and continue to boil for another 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add pectin and continue cooking at a rolling boil for another 12 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Skim any foam which accumulates at the top.
- Remove from stove element.
- Add food coloring, if using.
- While the jelly is still hot, ladle it into hot jars, leaving a ¼ inch headspace.
- Screw on lids and process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.