Community is back! My favourite show on television returned from a short hiatus. NBC’s Community is in it’s third season and the network pulled it halfway through the season’s run. There was a large fan outcry and NBC decided to finish the season and reevaluate if Community would return next year. Huzzah!!! Last night was the first show since the time off few months off the air. We had company over so I didn’t get to watch it but it is recorded and ready to view – ASAP!! I am so excited. I hate it when shows that are so well written and clever get cancelled way to early – remember Firefly or Freaks and Geeks anyone?!?!? I truly hope that there is enough support for Community and that NBC decides to keep it around for at least season 4!
This IS a food blog though right? Thanks for letting me take some time on a side topic.
Now back to the food!
Here is the next dish in our Indian meal from a couple nights ago. This is called keema masala. It is minced beef (ground beef) with green peas in curry spices. It is fairly spicy although the heat can be modified to your preference. My kids all love this dish. We serve it with paratha or chapatis and they make little Indian tacos with the keema masala.
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion
- 2 inch of fresh ginger, peeled
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 black cardamom pods
- 2 cups frozen peas
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- In a food processor, blend the onions, ginger and garlic until it is a pulpy paste. Add all the spices including the cardamom pods to the onion mixture and puree until smooth.
- In a large saucepan, cook the ground beef until no longer pink. Crumble the beef while it cooks so it is in small chunks. Drain the grease.
- Stir in the curry paste and cook at a medium heat for 30 minutes, stirring often during this cooking time. It may be necessary to add a little water to ensure nothing sticks to the bottom and burns.
- Stir in the frozen peas and cook another 10 minutes on low heat.
- Remove from heat and stir in the fresh cilantro.