Last week was quite the 7 days! For those who missed it, last week was Rub Week and I spent each of the 7 days sharing a rub that would be perfect for grilling season. The weather was awesome and the meals were fabulous! I made enough rub so that I had a medium size mason jar filled with each spice blend. Now, whenever I am grilling something, I can find out what rub everyone wants on their meat and make them all ‘to order’. Here is the rundown of all the recipes from last week.
Day 1 - Island Spice Rub
Day 2 - Sweet and Smokey Chipotle Rub
Day 3 - Lemon Pepper Steak Rub
Day 4 - Cafe Mocha Rub
Day 5 – Curry in a Hurry Rub
Day 6 – Ragin’ Cajun Rub
Day 7 – Asian Five Spice Rub
Since Rub Week was 7 straight days of posting, I needed a couple days off to take a breather. I am happy to be back with a recipe, and I am so excited to share this one with you. We love chili in our house and I love mixing it up, trying different types of beans with a variety of meats. Today’s chili has ground pork and black eyed peas. The chipotle powder and smoked paprika give the chili a wonderfully deep smokey flavour.
Garnish the chili with some fresh cilantro to give it a bright flavour enhancement!
As with any chili, this is great with crusty bread or nacho chips and grated cheddar cheese.
- 2 pounds lean ground pork
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 yellow pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 2 cans black eyed peas, drained
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp chipotle powder
- 1½ tbsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp honey
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Brown the ground pork in a large pot, until cooked and no longer pink. Drain the grease.
- Add the onion, yellow pepper, jalapeno and garlic. Cook at medium/high heat , until the onions and peppers are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients (minus cilantro). Bring to a boil, then lower the heat to a simmer. Cover and cook for 45-60 minutes. The broth should thicken and be filled with flavour!
- Serve in a bowl with some fresh cilantro sprinkled on as a garnish. Eat the chili with nacho chips and grated cheddar cheese.