Pad Thai is the classic Thai dish. Everyone has their own version of it. It is popular as a vegetarian dish, but also well known to have chicken or shrimp.
- 1 package of rice noodles , prepared according to instructions
- 2 tbsp oil
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 2 tbsp tamarind pulp
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 onion , thinly sliced
- 2 egg
- 1 pound chicken breast , cubed or 1 pound shrimp, peeled
- 3/4 cup tofu , in small cubes
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1/2 cup chives , chopped
- juice of 1 lime
- 1/4 cup chopped peanuts
- Prepare noodles according to instructions. Set aside.
- Heat oil in large pan. Add garlic, tamarind pulp, fish sauce, sugar and onion. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the eggs and stir constantly, until eggs are cooked.
- Add meat.
- When the meat is fully cooked, about 8 minutes, add tofu, bean sprouts, chives, lime juice and peanuts.
- Cook for another 3 minutes.
- Stir in noodles. Serve immediately.