We love mexican food and refried beans are a family favourite. A can of store bought beans are nothing close to homemade and they are ridiculously expensive. Here is my version.
- 1 tsp oil
- 2 cans pinto beans , drained
- 2 tomatoes , diced
- 1 onion , diced
- 4 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 jalapeno , seeded and minced
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup water
- Cook all ingredients in a saucepan on medium high heat, stirring frequently so that beans do not stick to the bottom.
- Once onions are cooked (around 10 minutes), remove from heat and using a potato masher, mash the beans, tomatoes and onion.
- If there is still some water in the mixture and it is not a thick consistency place back on minimum heat and simmer until bean mixture is thick, stirring often.
- Serve with tacos or nacho chips.