This is a family classic.
I remember, as a kid, that a couple of days after we had ham for dinner we would always have pea soup. I loved it, especially with lots of crackers! It is a great soup, especially on a cold day.
Split Pea and Ham Soup Recipe
- 1 ham bone
- 1 1/2 cups ham , cubed
- 1 pound dried split peas
- 1 onion , diced
- 5 carrots , sliced
- 2 tsp salt
- In a 10 qt pot bring water, with the ham bone in pot, to a boil. Have the water at a low rolling boil for about 45 minutes.
- Remove ham bone and skim the broth. Remove broth so that about 10 cups remain in the pot. Keep the extra broth in case you need to add more later.
- With the 10 cups of broth at a low boil, add remaining ingredients. Lower heat and stir often.
- The peas will expand and soak up the water. Eventually the peas will turn into a thin paste. If you need to add water, add at about a cup at a time.
- After about an hour of cooking the peas should be dissolved and you will have a nice consistency in the soup.
- Serve with crackers or croutons.