This might be my favourite soup of all time. I have made it probably 10-15 times and each time I think I like it more. I have made it for guests and it is always well received.
Tom Kha Gai - Thai Soup
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 3 cans coconut milk
- 1 tsp dried chilies
- 1 tsp of galangal powder (ginger if you cannot find it)
- a 2 inch peice of lemongrass
- 5 small shallots , thinly sliced
- 2 cups mushrooms , sliced
- 3 chicken breasts , cut into small bite size peices
- juice of 6 limes
- In a pot, bring the broth and coconut milk to a low boil.
- Add the next six ingredients and let it cook at a low rolling boil for about 15 minutes.
- Add the lime juice and cook for another 15 minutes.
- Serve with a small amount of freshly chopped cilantro.