I am not sure what the weather is like where you live but up here in Toronto the weather has been outstanding over the last number of days. I know that it is holiday weekend coming up in the United States with Memorial Day next Monday. We had our holiday weekend up here in Canada, with Victoria Day on the Monday that just past. I cannot remember the May long weekend ever having weather this good. It seemed like every single day of the weekend was just perfect! Hopefully Memorial weekend is just as good.
I got a lot of gardening done as well, which is great. I am now in a battle with the local squirrels and rabbits to leave my gerbera daisies and vegetable plants alone!
The warm weather caused many of us to fire up the grill and hang out on the deck as much as possible. I actually know of some people who went to the beach. That is pushing it for me – it is only May and we are in Canada after all! Regardless, it was great to be outside.
I love a nice cold summer salad to go with grilled food and today’s salad is the perfect example. Baby red potatoes are sweet and creamy which make them the perfect ingredient for this salad. Crispy bacon, fresh scallions and spinach round out this salad that is drawn together with a creamy lemon dijon dressing.
Believe me, this salad rocks!
Red Potato Bacon and Spinach Salad Recipe
- 1 1/2 pounds baby red potatoes
- 8 slices bacon
- 2 cups baby spinach or arugula
- 6 scallions (green onions)
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Boil baby red potatoes whole until soft. Cool completely and cut in half.
- Cook bacon until crispy. Place on a paper towel to absorb the grease. Once the bacon is cool, cut into slices.
- Cut the scallions into thin slices.
- Combine the potatoes, bacon, scallions with the spinach/arugula.
- Make the dressing by mixing the remaining ingredients.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and gently mix until the dressing coats all of the salad.