I cannot believe it has taken me all the way up to day 13 before I shared a sweet treats with some peppermint. Christmas is the season of peppermint and candy canes so it is only fitting to make a cookie with candy canes in it. I look for any excuse to make shortbread and I love mixing things in my shortbread dough, or topping my shortbread cookies with something. With that in mind I decided to crush up some candy canes and mix them in the shortbread. Then I just had to top the baked cookies with white chocolate drizzle. Drizzling melted chocolate is a lot of fun. I imagine I am an artist, painting some abstract work of art. I dip my spatula in the melted chocolate and splatter it all over the cookie. FUN!
Candy Cane Shortbread
- 8 candy canes , crushed
- 1 cup unsalted butter , softened
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1 tbsp white sugar
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips or candy melts
- 2 tbsp vegetable shortening
- Using an electric mixer, cream together the butter and sugar.
- Beat in the salt and flour until it is well combined and has an even consistency.
- Mix in the crushed candy canes.
- Roll the dough out on a floured surface to a 1/4 - 1/2 inch thickness. Cut cookies with 2 inch round cookie cutters.
- Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Sprinkle with the 1 tbsp of sugar. Bake in a 325F oven for 12-15 minutes. The edges should just start getting brown.
- Remove from the oven and place on a wire rack. Cool completely.
- Melt the white chocolate and shortening. Drizzle on the cookies.
- Store in an airtight container for 2 weeks or in the freezer for up to 3 months.