It seems that I look for any excuse to fill a hollowed out jalapeno pepper. I love poppers. It doesn’t matter if they are deep fried, baked, grilled or smoked, because jalapeno poppers are the perfect game day food.
Not only do I love jalapeno poppers, but I also love cornbread. Perfect with chili, or any soup for that matter, cornbread is the perfect accompaniment. I love to have minced pickled jalapeno peppers mixed in the cornbread. That spicy tart flavour goes so well in the cornbread. So, I figured, if jalapeno peppers are good in cornbread, why wouldn’t cornbread be good in a jalapeno pepper! These poppers are amazing and the perfect spicy bite size cornbread treat.
Here are some of the jalapeno popper recipes I have posted so far on the site.
Cornbread Jalapeno Poppers
- 12 jalapeno peppers
- 1/2 cup corn meal
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 tbsp oil
- 3/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven for 400F
- Cut the jalapeno peppers lengthwise and then remove the seeds and membrane from inside the peppers. Set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk together the corn meal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Mix in the egg, milk and oil until well combined.
- Spoon some batter into the hollowed out portion of each jalapeno pepper half. Spread it carefully so that it fills the hollowed out section.
- Place the filled jalapeno peppers on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Sprinkle the grated cheese on top of the batter filled peppers.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until the batter is cooked through and the cheese is melted and browning on top.
- Serve warm.