A few weeks ago, I was invited by Catelli to develop a new recipe using their gluten free pasta. While I know that there are many people who are unable to eat gluten, or limit it from their diet, there is no one in our family with this dietary restriction. Therefore, I have never used any gluten free pasta before and I actually had a pretty negative idea of what ‘gluten free’ pasta would taste like. So, part of the process of developing this recipe was tasting the Catelli Gluten Free Pasta and see what I thought of it. I used the fusilli pasta and it cooked pretty much like any pasta. Tasting it on its own, and in the finished dish, I was quite amazed that it had both the taste and texture of regular pasta made with durum wheat. There were 5 others who tasted the pasta and everyone was impressed with how close this pasta is to wheat pasta. Impressive!
Now, for the recipe, I was in a New Orleans style mood and I decided to grill some shrimp with a cajun spice rub on them. To serve with the shrimp, I made a creamy pasta sauce, inspired from New Orleans with the trinity (onions, pepper and celery), a roux and more cajun seasoning. The sauce and shrimp are tossed with some Catelli Gluten Free Fusilli Pasta and it turned into one incredible dish!
About Catelli® Gluten Free pasta
- Made from a unique four-grain blend of white rice, brown rice, corn andquinoa.
- Available in Spaghetti, Fusilli, Penne and Macaroni (photo attached).
- Delicious taste, smooth texture.
- Voted the Best New Gluten Free Pasta by Consumers.*
- Rated extremely high** by consumers in blind taste tests for taste, texture, colour and appearance.
- Produced in a dedicated gluten free facility.
- Certified by the Canadian Celiac Association’s Gluten-Free Certification Program.
- Made with ingredients that are declared GMO free: white rice flour, brown rice flour, corn flour, quinoa flour, monoglycerides (from vegetable/palm oil).
- 310 calories, 2 grams of fat per serving (85 g) of pasta.
- Low in sodium (0 mg), source of fibre (3 g) per serving (85 g) of pasta.
- Cholesterol and preservative free.
- Easy to digest, with the great taste and texture of regular pasta.
- Available at all major retailers across Canada, in the pasta aisle .
- Suggested retail price: $2.99
* According to results of the 2015 BrandSpark Best New Product Awards survey conducted by BrandSpark International. For more information visit www.BestNewProducts.ca
** Catelli Gluten Free Pasta, Central Location Testing (CLT) Study, February 2013
Creamy Pasta New Orleans with Grilled Cajun Shrimp
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1 pound fresh gulf shrimp , peeled and deveined
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 3 tablespoons rice flour
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced green pepper
- 1 cup diced celery
- 3 garlic cloves , minced
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2/3 cup parmigiano reggiano , grated
- 1 1/2 cup diced roma tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley , minced
- 1 box Catelli Gluten Free Fusilli Pasta (340g)
- Make the Cajun seasoning by mixing together the paprika, salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, onion powder, thyme, oregano and basil. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in the flour to make a roux. Heat for about 3-5 minutes, whisking continually until the roux develops a light caramel color and has a nutty aroma.
- Add the onions, pepper, celery, garlic and 2 1/2 teaspoons of the Cajun seasoning. Stir with a wooden spoon until the vegetables are tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Pour in the white wine and cook, stirring often, for another 3-5 minutes.
- Lower heat and pour in the heavy cream and whole milk. Let the sauce simmer for about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the parmegiano reggiano, diced roma tomatoes and fresh parsley. Cover.
- Cook the Catelli Gluten Free Fusilli Pasta according to the directions on the box. Drain.
- Heat grill to high heat. Toss the shrimp in the remaining Cajun seasoning. Place the shrimp on the grill grate and cook for about 3 minutes. Flip and cook another 3 minutes or until done.
- Toss the fusilli pasta with the sauce and stir in the grilled shrimp. Serve hot.
Disclaimer – Catelli provided me with a case of 12 boxes of Catelli Gluten Free Pasta for the development of this recipe