A few weeks ago, I was invited by Catelli to develop a new recipe using their gluten free pasta. While I know that there are many people who are unable to eat gluten, or limit it from their diet, there is no one in our family with this dietary restriction. Therefore, I have never used any gluten free pasta before and I actually had a pretty negative idea of what ‘gluten free’ pasta would taste like. So, part of the process of developing this recipe was tasting the Catelli Gluten Free Pasta and see what I thought of it. I used the fusilli pasta and it cooked pretty much like any pasta. Tasting it on its own, and in the finished dish, I was quite amazed that it had both the taste and texture of regular pasta made with durum wheat. There were 5 others who tasted the pasta and everyone was impressed with how close this pasta is to wheat pasta. Impressive!
Now, for the recipe, I was in a New Orleans style mood and I decided to grill some shrimp with a cajun spice rub on them. To serve with the shrimp, I made a creamy pasta sauce, inspired from New Orleans with the trinity (onions, pepper and celery), a roux and more cajun seasoning. The sauce and shrimp are tossed with some Catelli Gluten Free Fusilli Pasta and it turned into one incredible dish!
About Catelli® Gluten Free pasta
- Made from a unique four-grain blend of white rice, brown rice, corn andquinoa.
- Available in Spaghetti, Fusilli, Penne and Macaroni (photo attached).
- Delicious taste, smooth texture.
- Voted the Best New Gluten Free Pasta by Consumers.*
- Rated extremely high** by consumers in blind taste tests for taste, texture, colour and appearance.
- Produced in a dedicated gluten free facility.
- Certified by the Canadian Celiac Association’s Gluten-Free Certification Program.
- Made with ingredients that are declared GMO free: white rice flour, brown rice flour, corn flour, quinoa flour, monoglycerides (from vegetable/palm oil).
- 310 calories, 2 grams of fat per serving (85 g) of pasta.
- Low in sodium (0 mg), source of fibre (3 g) per serving (85 g) of pasta.
- Cholesterol and preservative free.
- Easy to digest, with the great taste and texture of regular pasta.
- Available at all major retailers across Canada, in the pasta aisle .
- Suggested retail price: $2.99
* According to results of the 2015 BrandSpark Best New Product Awards survey conducted by BrandSpark International. For more information visit www.BestNewProducts.ca
** Catelli Gluten Free Pasta, Central Location Testing (CLT) Study, February 2013
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1 pound fresh gulf shrimp , peeled and deveined
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 3 tablespoons rice flour
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced green pepper
- 1 cup diced celery
- 3 garlic cloves , minced
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2/3 cup parmigiano reggiano , grated
- 1 1/2 cup diced roma tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley , minced
- 1 box Catelli Gluten Free Fusilli Pasta (340g)
Make the Cajun seasoning by mixing together the paprika, salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, onion powder, thyme, oregano and basil. Set aside.
Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in the flour to make a roux. Heat for about 3-5 minutes, whisking continually until the roux develops a light caramel color and has a nutty aroma.
Add the onions, pepper, celery, garlic and 2 1/2 teaspoons of the Cajun seasoning. Stir with a wooden spoon until the vegetables are tender, about 5-7 minutes.
Pour in the white wine and cook, stirring often, for another 3-5 minutes.
Lower heat and pour in the heavy cream and whole milk. Let the sauce simmer for about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the parmegiano reggiano, diced roma tomatoes and fresh parsley. Cover.
Cook the Catelli Gluten Free Fusilli Pasta according to the directions on the box. Drain.
Heat grill to high heat. Toss the shrimp in the remaining Cajun seasoning. Place the shrimp on the grill grate and cook for about 3 minutes. Flip and cook another 3 minutes or until done.
Toss the fusilli pasta with the sauce and stir in the grilled shrimp. Serve hot.
Disclaimer – Catelli provided me with a case of 12 boxes of Catelli Gluten Free Pasta for the development of this recipe