Over the past few months I have been regularly making oven baked sliders. Ever since the first time I made them and the kids flipped out, I have been making them ever since. These sliders are a great after school snack, especially if the kids have friends over.
I like to make these sliders with all sorts of different fillings. This time I decided to go Hawaiian cause that is one of our favourite kinds of pizza. We love the combination of ham, pineapple and mozzarella cheese. It is so great on pizza that I knew it would be excellent in a slider.
To make these sliders, I use 12 pack dinner rolls. They are so many brands and varieties of these with the King Hawaiian brand being very popular. Most of the time I purchase the pack of rolls sold at Walmart. I also have a some other recipes using these dinner rolls. Check out these links!
- Ham and Cheese Sliders – these are reminiscent of a Cuban sandwich.
- Bacon Cheeseburger Sliders – mini burgers packed with bacon and very cheesy.
- Big Mac Sliders – these are bite sized mini Big Macs and they are so delicious!
Keep the dinner rolls together and slice them all in half lengthwise. Place the bottom half in a greased baking pan.
Lay the ham slices on top of the dinner roll bottoms.
Evenly spread the pineapple tidbits on top of the ham. Make sure that you thoroughly drain the can of pineapple. I even gently press the tidbits in a strainer to get rid of any excess juice.
Sprinkle the mozzarella cheese on top of the pineapple.
Lay the top of the dinner rolls on top.
Brush the rolls with the melted butter mixture.
The glaze I use for the top of these dinner rolls is made with melted butter, brown sugar and mustard. This buttery glaze gives the buns a golden brown look and the sweet mustard flavour goes very well with the ham and pineapple.
Preheat the oven for 325F.
Cover the baking dish with foil. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes. The foil keeps the top of the buns from getting to browned and crisp.
Once they have baked for the first 15 minutes, remove the foil and bake another 10-15 minutes. Take out of the oven and let them rest for 5 minutes before cutting into sliders.
These sliders are addictive and best served warm. They are buttery and sweet but still have a savoury flavour with the ham.
I made these one day and they were warm when the kids walked in the house after school. They sure did not last long cause they got gobbled up so fast.
If you are a fan of hawaiian pizza, you could serve these alongside some pizza sauce for dipping!
Ham and Pineapple Hawaiian Sliders
- 1 package 12 pack dinner rolls ex. Kings Hawaiian
- 14-18 slices black forest ham lunchmeat about 200 grams (1/2 pound)
- 1 can pineapple tidbits drained
- 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- 1 tbsp mustard or dijon
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Keeping the 12 dinner rolls together, cut them lengthwise. Place bottom half in a greased 13x9 inch baking pan.
- Lay summer ham slices evenly across the bottom half of the dinner rolls. Continue evenly spread the pineapple tidbits and grated cheese on top of the ham. Place the top half of the dinner rolls on top.
- Whisk together the melted butter, mustard, brown sugar and garlic powder. Brush this butter mixture on the top of the dinner rolls.
- Cover the baking pan with foil and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake of another 10-15 minutes. The buns should be starting to brown and the cheese melted and bubbling on the sides.
- Cut into sliders and serve warm.