During the cold months of fall and winter I often make different kinds of soups and stews. Beef stew is one of my favourite dishes to make because I especially love the gravy that is outstanding to dip and scoop up with some fresh bread.
I have made stew many different ways over the years using the oven and slow cooker. Here are some of those recipes:
- Pork and Porter Stew – A Slow Cooker Recipe
- Beef and Guinness Stew
- Venison Stew
- Moroccan Pork Stew with Chick Peas and Dried Cherries
Slow cookers and ovens do a great job at making stew. The meat is fall apart tender and the veggies are soft and delicious. The downside is that it takes hours to cook.
Electric pressure cookers can cook a beef stew in a fraction of the time and the result is just as tasty!
Beef stew is so hearty – full of tender, fall apart chunks of stewing beef, potatoes, carrots and other veggies. This recipe used corn, but sometimes I throw in some peas as well.
One bottle of beer is also added to this stew and it adds some wonderful depth of flavour to the gravy. I have also used red wine in place of the beer and that also works very well.
The first step to make this stew is to brown the beef. Browning beef adds wonderful depth of flavour to the stew.
To brown the beef, you can use the saute function on the electric pressure cooker. Pour the 3 tbsp oil into pressure cooker pot. Dredge the stewing beef cubes in the flour and add just enough beef cubes to cover the bottom of the pot. Brown for a couple minutes and use tongs to flip to brown the other side. Remove the browned beef and place on a plate or bowl. Continue to brown the rest of the beef.
Once all the beef has been browned and is resting on a plate/bowl, you can then add the diced onion and celery. There will be a lot of browned beef and flour bits stuck to the bottom of the pot. Pour in 1/2 cup of the beef broth and stir often to deglaze the pot. That is going to give so much flavour to the stew!
Once the onions are soft, about 5 minutes, add the remaining ingredients.
Close the lid and make sure the valve is set to seal.
Set the pressure cooker to cook on high pressure for 30 minutes. Once it has finished cooking and the pressure cooker beeps, you can flip the valve to manually release the pressure. Remove the lid and give the stew a stir which gives a consistency to the sauce.
This stew is amazing and the pressure cooker allows you to make a big pot of this delicious comfort food in under an hour where it takes much longer if cooking in the oven, stovetop or slow cooker.
Here are some other great pressure cooker recipes!
- Bean Soup with Bacon – Pressure Cooker Recipe
- Pulled Chicken Pressure Cooker
- Red Beans and Rice Pressure Cooker Recipe
- Pressure Cooker Teriyaki Baby Back Ribs
- Split Pea Soup Pressure Cooker
Pressure Cooker Beef Stew
- 3 tbsp oil
- 2 pounds beef stew meat cut into chunks
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 onion diced
- 2 celery stalks diced
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 3 carrots peeled and cut into chunks
- 5 medium potatoes peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 can corn drained
- 1 can/bottle beer 355ml
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- Pour oil into the pot of electric pressure cooker.
- Toss the stewing beef in the flour. Use the saute function on the pressure cooker to brown the beef in the oil. Cook the beef in batches so they do not get over crowded. Once they all the beef chunks are all browned, place on a plate/bowl.
- Add diced onion and celery to the pot along with 1/2 cup beef broth. Continue to use the saute function on the pressure cooker to fry the onions and celery as well as deglaze the bottom of the pot.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the tomato paste into the remaining beef broth.
- Pour the beef broth mixture and all remaining ingredients to the pot. Stir to combine.
- Close the lid and make sure the valve is set to seal. Set the pressure cooker on high for 30 minutes.
- Once the pressure cooker has cooked for the 30 minutes and beeped, manually release the pressure by turning the valve to vent. Once the air pressure is released, remove the lid and stir.