This homemade country gravy is easy to make and perfect for chicken fried steak, biscuits and so much more. Classic down home southern cooking.
It is not uncommon for me to get a craving for country fried steak (aka chicken fried steak). This is so good and some classic southern country cooking. Any time that I make chicken fried steak, I also make up a batch of homemade country gravy.
This creamy white gravy is pretty much essential if you are planning to have chicken fried steak. It also goes well on biscuits, chicken and pork chops. Simple to make, with ingredients you always have on hand, this is the perfect ‘go-to’ recipe for country gravy.
Recipes that are great with this gravy!
This country gravy will enhance lots of different dishes. Here are some classics that are even better with some of this creamy gravy poured all over.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- Melt the butter over medium heat in a saucepan.
- Slowly whisk in the flour. Add about 1-2 tablespoons at a time and whisk until dissolved. Continue until all flour is dissolved into the melted butter and a nice smooth roux is formed.
- Continue to whisk the roux over heat, for a few minutes, until it becomes a light brown color.
- Whisk in the milk, ensuring that there are no lumps.
- Heat for a few more minutes so the gravy thickens.