It is day three – woohoo!!
So far this week, I have revealed these recipes.
Day 2 – Shrimp and Pesto Pizza
Over the course of the week, I will be revealing the five recipes I submitted for the Ontario Gas BBQ Recipe Challenge.
If you want to read up on the competition you can find it here.
After all the recipes have been revealed one recipe from each of us will be chosen by the Ontario Gas BBQ judging Panel. Then, throughout the month of July, anyone can vote on which recipe they think is best. I will be calling on my family, friends and readers to head over to the website and vote for my dish. That includes you! Along with supporting me with your vote, there are also prizes available to you. Each week during the month of July, a $100 gift card will be awarded to one lucky voter.
Each recipe is made with a grilling accessory that the World’s Largest BBQ Store, Ontario Gas BBQ sent me to use. For today’s recipe I was some sharp looking circle skewers. I love skewers and use them all the time in my grilling, but I have never used round shaped ones. These are so cool!
Along with developing a recipe with these skewers, I also had to make it a dessert using fruit. Grilling fruit is amazing because the grilling process intensifies the flavours and caramelizes the sugars in the fruit. I absolutely love grilled fruit and using these skewers were great. I used a mixture of fruit and this provides not only a variety of taste, but also medley of colours which looks wonderful on the plate!
To go with the grilled fruit, I made a French Vanilla Dip. It is super easy to make, sweet and creamy, with the rich flavour vanilla from a real vanilla bean. To extract in this dip!
This dish is light, healthy and the perfect dessert for a summer day.
Grilled Fruit with French Vanilla Dip
- 2 peaches
- 2 kiwi
- 12 strawberries
- 1/2 honeydew melon
- 1/2 pineapple
- 1 225 g (8oz) brick cream cheese, softened
- 1 200 g (7oz) tub marshmallow fluff/creme
- 1 vanilla bean
- 4 circle skewers
- Halve and pit the peaches. Cut them into 1 1⁄2 inch chunks.
- Cut the skin off the kiwi and slice each kiwi into 4 equal round slices.
- Hull the strawberries.
- Carve the outer rind off the honeydew and cut the flesh into 1 1⁄2 inch chunks.
- Carve the outer rind off the pineapple and cut the flesh into 1 1⁄2 inch chunks.
- Spear the fruit onto the circle skewers.
- Make the dip by beating the cream cheese and marshmallow fluff. Cut the vanilla bean downthe middle and scrape all the inner seeds out. Add the seeds to the dip and mix until fully combined. Keep the dip in the fridge until needed.
- Preheat the grill to high, around 500F.
- Place the fruit skewers on the grill and close the lid. After 3-4 minutes, turn the skewers and grill another 3-4 minutes.
- Remove the fruit skewers from the grill and serve with the dip.