If you have a garden and always have plenty of green tomatoes at the end of the season, then this recipe is for you. Chow chow is great on burgers and hot dogs.
Chow Chow - Green Tomato Relish
- 12 large green tomatoes , diced
- 5 stalks celery , diced
- half a cabbage , diced
- 8-10 large pickling cucumbers , diced
- 6 onions , minced
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 cups vinegar
- 3 tbsp salt
- 2 tbsp celery seed
- hot peppers of choice
- Add all ingredients, except hot peppers into large pot.
- Take hot peppers (I used 4 cayenne, 5 jalapeno and 3 scotch bonnet peppers) and place in a food processor with a quarter cup of vinegar.
- Pulse until the hot peppers are finely minced.
- Add the peppers to the pot. Bring the relish to a boil and lower to a high simmer.
- Keep it at a very low boil for 2 hours, stirring often.
- Place in jars and process for 20 minutes.