During the summer, I like to grill anything and everything including meat, veggies, pizza and even dessert. One grilling technique that has so much versatility is plank grilling. Plank grilling involves placing food on a presoaked wood plank which is then placed on the grill. The grill lid is closed essentially baking the food in the grill. The underside of the plank will begin to char and the smoke from the wood provides a mild smoky flavour to the food. Planking is a wonderful technique allowing some of the more delicate foods to be cooked on a grill.
This brie cheese recipe is the perfect example of plank grilling. Normally cheese could never be cooked on a grill but the plank provides a barrier between the flame and the cheese. The brie is perfectly melted and oozes out once cut. The cheese is topped with a fresh and fruity salsa of blueberries and mangoes. The tang of lime juice and the kick of fresh jalapenos round out the flavour of this salsa. Try some gooey brie and salsa on a slice of a French baguette and you know how wonderful plank grilling truly is!
Here is my second attempt at making a food demo video. I am feeling more natural which is good. I actually really enjoy doing these and hope to have this as a somewhat regular part of The Black Peppercorn. I have also been learning quite a bit about video recording. The sun was bright yesterday and it resulted in the video image getting washed out a bit. Gonna have to work on recording at the right time of day when I do it outside.
- 2 small brie wheels (about ½ pound each)
- 1 mango
- 1 pint fresh blueberries
- 1 jalapeno pepper
- ½ lime
- 4 tbsp honey
- 2 French baguettes
- wood planks (cedar, oak or other type of wood)
- Soak the plank for 1-2 hours.
- Preheat the grill to 350-400F.
- Peel and core the mango. Cut the mango into small pieces. Wash the blueberries and jalapeno pepper. Seed the jalapeno and dice it finely. Mix the mango, blueberries and jalapeno in a bowl with juice of the ½ lime and 2 tbsp of honey. Stir and set aside for 30 minutes.
- Remove the plank from the water and shake off the excess water.
- Place the wheels of brie on the plank and top each with the blueberry mango salsa. Drizzle the remaining honey on top of the salsa.
- Place the plank on the grill and close the lid. Cook on the grill for 15-20 minutes. Carefully remove the plank from the grill and place on an object that cannot be burned (the wood may be charred on the bottom). Let the brie rest for about 3-4 minutes.
- Serve with sliced French baguettes.