I am always on the lookout for a new salad. Especially during the summer months, a nice cold salad is bright and refreshing. This antipasto salad has wonderful flavours and is a meal in itself. I love an antipasto plate and I cannot believe that I had never thought to turn it into a salad.
This recipe is adapted from Giada De Laurentiis. It is the first recipe from her that I have tried and it is a real winner.
This is the perfect starter to go with an Italian meal. Follow this up with some lasagna or manicotti for a great Italian dinner. This also can go wonderfully well alongside grilled chicken or steak.
- 1/2 head iceberg lettuce , chopped
- 1/2 head romaine lettuce , chopped
- 2 tomatoes , diced into chunks
- 1 can red kidney beans , drained
- 1 can garbanzo beans (chick peas), drained
- 3/4 pound salami , cut into cubes
- 1/2 pound provolone cheese , cut into cubes
- 1 12 oz jar of artichoke hearts , drained
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 lemon , juiced
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp oregano
Toss the lettuce, tomatoes, beans, salami, cheese and artichoke hearts together in a large bowl.
Make the vinaigrette by mixing the oil, vinegar lemon juice, sugar, salt and oregano together. Pour over the salad and toss until evenly coated.