This cheese sauce is smooth and creamy with the sharpness of extra old cheddar. It is the ultimate topping for steamed broccoli, cauliflower or asparagus. I also really love it poured on a baked potato or used in homemade mac and cheese.
I made this recipe to go alongside some Stuffed Peppers and it was the perfect sauce poured on them.
Making cheese sauce is very easy as it is a béchamel (white sauce) with cheddar cheese stirred in and melted into the sauce. Béchamel sauce is a base sauce and used as a start or foundation to the cheese sauce.
White Cheddar Cheese Sauce
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 cups extra old white cheddar cheese grated
- Melt butter in a saucepan on medium heat.
- Whisk in the flour until dissolved and smooth.
- Slowly whisk in the milk. Lower heat to medium low and simmer for a couple minutes to thicken slightly.
- Stir in the cayenne pepper and salt.
- Stir in the grated cheddar cheese until melted and smooth.