Macaroni and cheese may be the perennial comfort food. There is nothing like scooping into a big casserole dish of baked mac and cheese. It brings a smile to everyone in my household and I am sure that, if you tried this recipe, your house would be full of smiles as well.
Typically, I double this recipe, as many of us like a second helping. It also makes great leftovers, so there is never a problem if too much is made.
The crumb topping on top of the mac and cheese enhances the dish with some crumbly/crunchy texture. I have also tried mixing some crunched corn flakes in the crumb topping and that also works great!
Classic Homemade Mac and Cheese
- 4 cups cooked macaroni
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cups grated mozzarella
- 1 cups grated cheddar
- 1/2 cup parmesan
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup butter , melted
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar
- Cook the macaroni according to packaged instructions. Drain, rinse and set aside.
- In a saucepan, on medium heat, melt the butter. Whisk in the flour until smooth. This creates a roux. Continue to whisk it for a minute.
- While whisking, slowly pour in the milk. Once smooth add the cheeses and spices. Stir until smooth.
- In a large bowl, mix the macaroni and cheese sauce until all the noodles are covered in some sauce. Spread the mac and cheese in a casserole dish.
- In a small bowl mix the melted butter and bread crumbs together until there is a dry and crumbly texture. Stir in the 1/2 cup of grated cheddar. Spread the crumb topping evenly across the macaroni and cheese.
- Bake in a 350F oven for 30 minutes.