This pasta bake is creamy, cheesy and so delicious. A great way to turn the great flavours of beef stroganoff into a pasta casserole!
I love beef stroganoff. It is a dish my mother made when I was a kid and I always loved the creamy taste of this pasta dish. Similar to Italian meat sauce, but instead of a tomato based sauce, it is a creamy one with cream of mushroom soup, milk and sour cream.
I decided to try something different with my recipe for Ground Beef Stroganoff. We love lasagna, baked ziti or any other baked pasta so I wondered how a baked dish of stroganoff would turn out. I added some zucchini and spinach to the dish and covered the pasta with grated mozzarella. Once the pasta was done baking and the cheese was bubbly, I knew that this dish would be amazing and I was right. Baking the beef stroganoff worked very well and it is something that I will definitely do again!
Baked Beef and Zucchini Stroganoff
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 green pepper , diced
- 1 onion , diced
- 1 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 zucchini , cut into 1 inch chunks
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 cups packed fresh baby spinach
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 500 g broad egg noodles , cooked according to directions on package
- 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- Brown the beef in a large saucepan. Drain the grease and then add the vegetables (minus spinach), minced garlic worcestershire sauce, paprika, thyme, salt and pepper. Saute until the vegetables are tender, approximately 5-7 minutes.
- Pour in the milk, cream of mushroom soup, and the baby spinach. Bring the stroganoff just to the boiling point. Lower the heat to a simmer and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Stir in the sour cream and heat for a few minutes. The sauce should thicken nicely.
- Mix the noodles with the sauce and spread in a large lasagna or baking dish. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Place in the oven and bake for 20-30 minutes or until cheese is melted and just starting to brown.