Café Mocha Cookies
Today is Day #2 of the 24 Days of Christmas Baking and I must say I am getting into it! I have been fighting a cold the last number of days, actually most of the family has, but I was still able to get these chocolate and coffee cookies made! This is the fourth or fifth time I have made these and I believe I am happiest with this result.
I have been thinking ahead and planning what cookies, squares and tassies I will share during this 24 day period. I want to ensure that I have a good variety of ingredients, techniques and looks. For those who have tasted some from previous Christmases feel free to send in a request – LOL. I already have one for Santa’s Whiskers!
When it comes to cookies there are so many different kinds and ways to make them. There are cutout cookies, drop cookies, icebox cookies (like yesterday’s Lemon Meltaways) and ball cookies. Today’s cookie is prepared by rolling the dough into a ball before placing it on the cookie sheet. Often, like in today’s cookie, the ball of dough is rolled in some sugar or even nuts.
These Café Mocha Cookies have a cake-like consistency and are sugary and crispy on the outside and moist in the middle. They, like all the recipes I will share in the next 24 days, can easily be frozen in plastic containers or freezer bags until closer to Christmas. Today’s recipe is a slight modification from a recipe in Better Homes and Garden’s Christmas Cookies magazine – I love those issues!!
Once all the ingredients are beaten together it resembles a cake batter more than a cookie dough. Drop a tablespoon sized amount of batter in the bowl of sugar. Lightly coat the dough in the sugar roll it in your hands to make an even ball. Drop the ball of dough back into the sugar and coat it a second time.
Place the balls 2 inches apart on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake in a 350F oven for 8-10 minutes. Let them cool on a wire rack.
Café Mocha Cookies
- 1/3 cup butter , softened
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tsp instant coffee granules
- 2 tsp water
- 2 egg whites
- 1/3 plain yogurt
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- In an electric mixer, cream together the butter, brown sugar and cocoa powder.
- In a small bowl stir together the water and instant coffee granules until the crystals dissolve.
- Add the dissolved coffee, egg whites and yogurt to the mixer and beat until it is smooth and creamy.
- Slowly add the flour. The cookie dough will resemble a cake batter when done.
- Drop a tablespoon sized amount of batter in the bowl of sugar. Lightly coat the dough in the sugar roll it in your hands to make an even ball. Drop the ball of dough back into the sugar and coat it a second time.
- Place the balls 2 inches apart on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake in a 350F oven for 8-10 minutes. Let them cool on a wire rack.