One of the things I remembered during the early and mid 90’s was hanging out at coffee shops. I went to university in the early 90’s and we used to go to coffee shops, get a dessert, a specialty coffee and just hang out. Once Janna and I got married and lived in Kingston Ontario, there were many coffee shops along Princess Street. My favourite was a cafe called The Sleepless Goat. They had some of the most incredible baked squares. I can still remember them.
Today’s post is a tribute to those great coffee shop dessert squares! But it is also a tribute to my favourite chocolate bar – Skor! I love the buttercrunch toffee that is in the middle of the Skor bar. It is small, but it packs so much flavour. I found it in the 2002 Christmas Cookies issue from Better Homes and Gardens. The first time that I made this square it gave me such a big smile. It has the freshness of a baked dessert square but the clear taste of a Skor chocolate bar.
If you decide to make this square, you must be warned. You will not each just one.It will call you back for another and another…..
The crust has just a handful of ingredients.
Press the dough for the crust evenly across the bottom of a greased 13×9 cake pan. Bake at 35)F for 20 minutes.
Boil the condensed milk and butter for 5 minutes. After stirring in the vanilla, spread the toffee across the baked crust. Bake at 350F for another 12-15 minutes.
Sprinkle the chocolate chips on the baked layers while they are still hot. This makes it easy to spread as the warm layers melt the chocolate.
Skor Toffee Squares
- 3/4 cup butter , softened
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk (1 1/4 cups)
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup Skor toffee bits
- With an electric mixer, beat the 3/4 cup butter, brown sugar and egg yolk until creamy and smooth. Slowly beat in the flour until there is an even dough-like consistency.
- Dump the dough in a greased 13x9 cake pan. Press the dough evenly across the bottom of the pan.
- Bake in a 350F for 20 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a sauce pan heat the 2 tbsp butter and condensed milk over medium heat. Once it come to a boil stir constantly, scraping the bottom of the pan for 5 minutes. The sauce will thicken and become smooth. Stir in the vanilla. Spread the filling over the crust.
- Bake in a 350F oven for 12-15 minutes. The top layer will bubble and become golden brown. Watch that it does not get 'too' brown. Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack.
- While the crust and caramel is still hot, sprinkle the chocolate chips across the caramel. Wait a few minutes. The chocolate chips will have melted. Using a spatula, spread the chocolate evenly across the baked layers.
- Sprinkle the Skor toffee bits across the melted chocolate.