Saltine Toffee – aka Christmas Crack
The dessert below is so amazing that there is the real possibility you will be unable to stop eating once you start. With only 5 ingredients, this saltine toffee can be made in a matter of minutes. I love the combination of buttercrunch toffee and chocolate, so these are the perfect salty sweet snack. I remember the first time I ever had these and discovered that there were actually salted top saltine crackers in them. I didn’t know whether to be intrigued or repulsed. It seemed odd to have a cracker in a dessert, but after tasting it I learned very clearly that this is a total winner!
Yes, I know that it is Day 5 of the 24 Days of Christmas Baking and I already have 3 that are chocolate and toffee/caramel. It shows you the flavours that I love, but also know that there are plenty of other amazing sweets to come that have a wide range of flavours!
This can be stored in an airtight container for a couple weeks, although, there is likely no way it will last any longer than a day or two. The best way to enjoy these is to keep them in the freezer. I love eating them while they are still cold. YUM! There are recipes for this all over the net. This recipe was sourced from AllRecipes.
Saltine Toffee Christmas Crack
- 40 saltine crackers - salted tops ( about 1 sleeve)
- 1 cup butter
- 3/4- 1 cup brown sugar
- 12 oz (or 2 cups) chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven for 400F.
- Line a 15x10 jelly roll pan with parchment paper. Lay the saltine crackers evenly on the pan.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter and brown sugar. Bring to a boil and let it boil for 3 minutes. Do not stir it during this time.
- Pour the caramel evenly across the saltine crackers.
- Bake for 5-7 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and sprinkle the chocolate chips across the toffee. Let them melt for a few minutes. Using a spatula, spread the melted chocolate evenly across the toffee.
- Sprinkle the chopped pecans on the melted chocolate.
- Let the toffee and chocolate cool completely. Break the toffee into 2 inch bite size squares.
- To store, keep in an airtight container for 1 or 2 weeks or in the freezer for a couple months.