This amazing jelly is wonderful on crackers with brie or cream cheese!
Zesty Red Onion Jelly
Author: Steve Cylka
Serves: 6 x 250ml jars
- 2 cup diced red onion, finely minced
- 4 tsp lemon zest
- 1½ cup white vinegar
- 6 cups granulated sugar
- 2 pouches (85 ml [3 fl oz]) liquid Certo (pectin)
- Add onion, lemon zest, vinegar and sugar to a large pot. Heat to boiling and continue to boil for another 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add pectin and continue cooking at a rolling boil for another 10 minutes, stirring constantly. Skim any foam which accumulates at the top. Remove from stove element. Add food coloring, if using.
- While the jelly is still hot, ladle it into hot jars, leaving a ¼ inch headspace. Screw on lids and process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.
to get the colour of the jelly to be a nice vibrant pink take the red onion skin and place it in a bowl with the vinegar. cook in the microwave for 2 minutes. Remove and let the vinegar cool to room temperature. Remove the onion skin and you will find that the natural dye of the onion skin and beautifully coloured the vinegar.