The warm weather has finally started to come and it is beginning to feel like spring. The snow has melted off the backyard deck and it is time for me to get smoking. One of my favorite things to cook in the smoker is a fatty. There are many different kinds of fatties and I love to try different kinds, stuffing them with all sorts of unique ingredients.
A couple of fatties I have made before are
Today I have a smoked pepperoni pizza fatty. I used Italian sausage meat and stuffed it with green olives, pepperoni and mozzarella cheese.
Mix the Italian sausage meat with the sliced green olives. Roll the meat mixture into a 10×10 inch square. Roll in a large freezer bag or on parchment paper so the meat will roll into the fatty easily.
If using a large freezer bag, cut it open and lift off the top portion.
Lay the pepperoni slices in the middle of the sausage meat. I cut the pepperoni in quarters so that they bunch together well in the middle of the fatty.
Sprinkle the grated mozzarella on the pepperoni.
Fold one side of the sausage over top of the pepperoni and mozzarella cheese.
Roll up the sausage into a log. Tuck in the sides to make sure there is no opening for the cheese to melt out of.
I made one with mild sausage and another with hot and spicy Italian sausage.
Get the smoker going and bring it up to 250F. Place the fatties in the smoker and smoke them at 250F for about 2 1/2 hours.
Take them out of the smoker and let them rest for about 5-10 minutes. They turned out incredibly well. Serve them with some marinara sauce and they will totally taste like a smoked pizza!
Smoked Pepperoni Pizza Fatty
- 1 pound Italian sausage meat (mild or hot)
- 1/2 cup sliced green olives
- 1/2 cup pepperoni slices
- 3/4 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cup pizza sauce (optional)
- Mix the Italian sausage meat with the sliced green olives. Roll the meat mixture into a 10x10 inch square. Roll in a large freezer bag or on parchment paper so the meat will roll into the fatty easily.
- Lay the pepperoni slices in the middle of the sausage meat. Sprinkle the grated mozzarella on the pepperoni.
- Roll up the fatty so that the cheese and pepperoni is completely surrounded by the sausage mixture. Place the fatty on a smoker rack.
- Set your Bradley to 250F. Smoke the fatty for about 2 1/2 hours.
- Remove when the internal temperature is at 165F.
- If desired, serve with pizza sauce.