Chowders are one of my favourite kinds of soup. I love the hearty consistency of a chowder with all the chunks of stuff in the soup. It doesn’t matter if it is corn, potato, clams, fish or something else. I love them all. I especially love creamy chowders as they are so soothing on a cold day.
We buy rotisserie chicken quite a bit, so there is often a little bit of leftover chicken meat. That is what happened this week and thus, this chowder was born!
This soup is not incredibly unique, but is more of a classic type of chowder. It includes cubed potatoes, corn, onions and cubed chicken meat. The broth is made with chicken broth and thickened with some heavy cream.
As I said, chowder is one of my favourite soup. Over the years I have made many different types of chowders. Here are a bunch of links to the different chowder recipes.
- New England Clam Chowder – This is one of the most popular kinds of chowder and also a favourite of mine. Creamy with lots of clams!!
- Manhattan Clam Chowder – Similar to New England Clam Chowder, except that the broth is tomato based.
- Corn and Potato Chowder – This is a classic and simple chowder recipe with a creamy broth cube of potato and lots of fresh corn!
- Smoked Chicken Chowder – The smoked chicken adds a nice smokey flavour to the chowder.
One of the great things about chowder is that they are just as good reheated as they are the first day. Some soup does not work as well for leftovers, getting far to thick. Not with this chowder. I often make a double batch and we then are able to enjoy this chowder for a few days!
This hearty and creamy soup is made with chicken, potatoes, corn, cream and chicken broth. Easy recipe with how to instructions.
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 small onion peeled and diced
- 4 medium potatoes peeled and cubed
- 2 cups fresh or frozen corn
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dry thyme
- 2 cups cooked chicken meat cubed
- 1 1/2 cups 10% cream
In a large dutch oven or pot, add the chicken broth, butter, onion, potatoes, corn, bay leaf, garlic cloves, salt, pepper and thyme. Bring to a boil and then lower heat to a simmer. Let it simmer for about 45 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
Stir in the cubed chicken and cream. Let the soup simmer for about 15 more minutes.