I was in the grocery store the other day and saw that the fresh Ontario peaches are arriving. I bought a basket with the thought of having them on their own (I love eating fresh local fruit!). I was craving a quesadilla and as I considered what to put in it I looked down in my cart and wondered how a peach would fare.
Peach salsa tastes great so I thought I would get a bit inventive in the kitchen and try it out. In the end it turned out great. The lime zest added a nice zing to the dish and the jalapeno was good although I would have liked it to be a bit spicier.
Here are a few other quesadilla recipes on the site:
- Chicken Cilantro Quesadilla – the combination of chicken and cilantro make every bite full of flavour
- Smoked Chicken and Salsa Quesadilla – I have made this quesadilla many times when I have some leftover smoked chicken. It is so good!
- Chicken Quesadilla with Black Beans and Corn – great quesadilla filled with lots of stuff!
These quesadilla are amazing as a snack or appetizer all on their own. They are also excellent as part of a full Mexican meal.
- 4 soft taco shells
- 1 peach , peeled, pitted and diced
- 1/2 red onion , minced
- 1/2 red pepper , diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper , seeded and minced
- 1 cup grated cheese (cheddar or monterey jack)
- 1 tsp lime zest
- Preheat the oven for 400 degrees
- Place 2 soft taco shells on a cookie sheet
- Spread all the ingredients on top of the 2 shells
- Put the remaining 2 shells on top of the original 2 and press down lightly to ensure that the ingredients in between the shells are flattened lightly
- Bake in the oven for about 10-15 minutes or until the top shell is browned lightly.
- Serve hot.