Today has been a busy day. J’s uncle passed away and she left, with most of her siblings, for a 3 1/2 hour trip to where the funeral was held. Saturday is also a day packed with all three of our kids playing hockey in the morning. All three played well, but it was a memorable day for B as he scored his first goal. He has become a stronger player as the season has progressed and it was great to see him score one today. To celebrate we went to McDonalds, just like we did when E scored his first goal earlier in the year. On top of all this, today was E’s birthday. Since J was at the funeral for the day, we did the family celebration last night and he got his presents and had cake and ice cream. Tomorrow I will post some pictures of the cake I made along with the birthday boy.
This recipe is part 3 of our wonton cup dinner from earlier this week. Knowing that J would not be a fan of the very spicy Buffalo Chicken Wonton Cups with Blue Cheese Mousse, I decided that I needed to make something that was far milder. I had half a jar of honey garlic sauce in the fridge and, POOF, these were created. These are the easiest of the wonton cups to prepare and are just a few ingredients. That in know way means that they are low on flavor. Any fan of honey garlic chicken will love these wonton cups. I used store bought sauce but have also made my own for chicken wings. Here is the link to my honey garlic sauce recipe. I wish I had some green onions in the fridge to use as a garnish. Instead I used some fennel fronds from the salad we had as a side dish.
- 24 wonton wrappers
- 3 tbsp oil
- 2 1/2 cups cooked chicken breast , cut into small cubes
- 3/4 cup honey garlic sauce
- 4 green onions , thinly sliced (optional for garnish)
- Brush one side of a wonton wrapper with 3 tbsp oil and press, brushed side down, into a mini muffin tray forming a cup. Do this for all 24 wonton wrappers. Bake in a 350F oven for 10-12 minutes. The wrappers will crisp up and start to brown. Let cool completely.
- Stir the chicken with the honey garlic sauce in a bowl and heat in the microwave for just a couple minutes (may vary depending on the microwave). This is just to warm the chicken and the sauce as the chicken is already cooked.
- Spoon some honey garlic chicken into each wonton cup. If desired, top with a few slices of green onions.
- Serve warm.