I am a meat and potatoes kinda guy and I love a good mash. This recipe for mashed potatoes with chives and pecorino cheese is simple but has the perfect balance of flavours.
I like to use russet potatoes but PEI, Yukon Gold or even red potatoes work well for a mash. The pecorino romano has a nuttier flavor compared to parmigiano reggiano but that kind of grated hard cheese works as well.
Pecorino romano is a hard Italian cheese that is fairly salty so the mashed potatoes do not need much more salt. Here is a little bit of trivia for you about pecorino romano cheese. It is one of Italy’s oldest cheeses and was a staple in the diet of legionaries in ancient Rome. It is still made according to that old classic recipe.
The fresh chives in these mashed potatoes provides a very mild onion taste. Chives and potatoes go perfectly together. Make these with a steak, pork chop or roast chicken and you will have one fabulous dinner!
Mashed Potatoes with Chives and Pecorino
- 6 medium potatoes , peeled and boiled
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/3 cup half and half cream
- 1/4 cup grated pecorino romano
- 1/3 cup fresh chives , minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Use a potato masher to mash together the potatoes, butter and half and half cream until smooth and creamy.
- Mix in the grated pecorino, chives, salt and pepper.