This recipe is perfect to go along with country fried steak (aka chicken fried steak). It also goes well on biscuits, chicken and pork chops. Simple to make, with ingredients you always have on hand, this is the perfect ‘go-to’ recipe for country gravy.
- 2/3 cup oil
- 3/4 cup flour
- 4 cups milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- Heat oil on medium heat in a saucepan.
- Slowly whisk in the flour. Add about 1-2 tablespoons at a time and whisk until dissolved. Continue until all flour is dissolved into the oil and a nice smooth roux is formed.
- Continue to whisk the roux until it becomes a light brown color.
- Whisk in the milk, ensuring that there are no lumps.
- Heat for a few minutes so the gravy thickens.