During those hot summer months, I try to do as much of the cooking outside as I possible can. Turning on the oven inside can heat up the house and cause the A/C to work extra hard. So, why do it, right? Anyways, it is much better to do the cooking in the backyard. I live on my deck in the summer, grilling and smoking all the time. With the grill on, I like to cook the whole meal BBQ. Cooking veggies and side dishes on the grill is surprisingly simple and it is just one more excuse to #EATMOREBBQ!!
I love twice baked potatoes. The inside is creamy mashed potatoes that are surrounded by a nice crispy skin and topped with bacon and melted cheddar. This is an ultimate potato side dish Now, the potatoes in this recipe are the classic twice baked potatoes, but done on the grill! While delicious, there are so many options that for toppings.
Make these for a guaranteed hit, or get creative and try something different. Mix the potatoes with cubed ham and cheese or top with some broccoli. The possibilities are endless.
How to make twice baked potatoes on the grill
Making twice baked potatoes on the grill is super simple. I wrap the potatoes in foil and place them on the upper grill grate. This protects the bottom of the potatoes from getting over cooked from the flame of the grill. Heat the grill to around 400F and close the lid.
Bake the potatoes until tender, about 75 minutes or so. Then, once the potatoes have cooled slightly, cut open the top and scoop out all the insides. Whip with some butter, cream and sour cream and then spoon back into the hollowed out potato skin.
Top with desired toppings and then place on the lower/main grate for 15-20 minutes, or until the cheese is melted. Enjoy!!
I love twice baked potatoes and using the grill is an excellent way to cook them. If you want to try something extra awesome with twice baked potatoes then you need to try these:
The buffalo chicken mixed with the mashed potatoes is so amazing and I love how well it works inside a hollowed out potato. Seriously delicious.
Grilled Cheddar Bacon Twice Baked Potatoes
- 4 large baking potatoes
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/3 cup 10% cream
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 4 bacon strips
- Wrap potatoes with aluminum foil.
- Preheat grill to 400F. Place foil wrapped potatoes on upper grill grate/rack and close lid. Bake the potatoes in the grill for about 75 minutes or until soft when poked with a toothpick.
- While the potatoes are baking, cook the bacon until crispy. Drain on a paper towel and crumble into small pieces.
- Let the potatoes cool slightly. With a sharp knife, cut the top off each potato. Scoop out the inside of the potato and spoon into a large bowl. Using a fork, or hand mixer, mix the scooped out potato with butter, cream, sour cream, salt and pepper. Mix until smooth. Spoon the mixture into the potato skins. Top with grated cheese and bacon.
- With the grill still at 400F, place the potatoes directly on grill grates and close lid. Bake on the grill until cheese is melted and bubbly, about 15-20 minutes.