This mash up of jalapeño poppers and cornbread is so good. It is perfect as a side dish or an appetizer for a party or for while watching the game!
It seems that I look for any excuse to fill a hollowed out jalapeno pepper. I love poppers. It doesn’t matter if they are deep fried, baked, grilled or smoked, because jalapeno poppers are the perfect game day food.
Not only do I love jalapeno poppers, but I also love cornbread. Perfect with chili, or any soup for that matter, cornbread is the perfect accompaniment. I love to have minced pickled jalapeno peppers mixed in the cornbread. That spicy tart flavour goes so well in the cornbread. So, I figured, if jalapeno peppers are good in cornbread, why wouldn’t cornbread be good in a jalapeno pepper! These poppers are amazing and the perfect spicy bite size cornbread treat.
- Jalapeño Peppers – choose nice fresh jalapeño peppers of similar size. Try to pick ones that are wide in size so they hold lots of cornbread batter.
- Corn Meal
- Baking Powder
- Cheddar Cheese – while I use grated cheddar cheese, you could also use other kinds as well. Monterey Jack cheese would work very well!
Expert Tip! While this recipe uses homemade cornbread from scratch, it is also possible to use a box mix. Simply make the cornbread batter according to the directions on the passage and then follow these instructions for how to add it to these jalapeño poppers.
How To Make Jalapeño Poppers
- The first step to making these cornbread jalapeño poppers it to prep the peppers. Cut the jalapeño peppers lengthwise and cut/scoop out the seeds and membrane.
- Next mix the cornbread batter in a medium sized mixing bowl.
- Spoon the batter into the hollowed out jalapeño peppers and sprinkle some grated cheese on top.
- Place the poppers on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake in a 400F oven for 15 minutes or until the cornbread is fully baked and cheese it melted and beginning to brown.
More Jalapeno Popper Recipes!
If you like these cornbread jalapeño poppers, then check out these popper recipes!
- Chorizo Stuffed Jalapeno Popper
- Atomic Buffalo Turd Jalapeno Poppers (aka – A.B.T.)
- Crawfish and Cheddar Stuffed Jalapeno Poppers
- Bacon Cheddar Jalapeno Poppers
Cornbread Jalapeno Poppers
- 12 jalapeno peppers
- 1/2 cup corn meal
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 tbsp oil
- 3/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven for 400F
- Cut the jalapeno peppers lengthwise and then remove the seeds and membrane from inside the peppers. Set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk together the corn meal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Mix in the egg, milk and oil until well combined.
- Spoon some batter into the hollowed out portion of each jalapeno pepper half. Spread it carefully so that it fills the hollowed out section.
- Place the filled jalapeno peppers on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Sprinkle the grated cheese on top of the batter filled peppers.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until the batter is cooked through and the cheese is melted and browning on top.
- Serve warm.