I remember when I was a teenager going on a family trip to New Orleans and having Shrimp Creole. It is a classic dish from Louisiana and it is one of my favorites. I have made this dish for probably more than 10 years and I never get tired of it. Give it a try!!
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tbsp flour
- 1 onion , diced
- 1 green pepper , diced
- 3 stalks celery , thinly sliced
- 1 cup water
- 1 pound raw shrimp
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 can (28 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp sugar
- The first thing you need to do is make a light brown roux. If you have never made roux, here is the link giving instructions.
- When the roux is done, add the onion, green pepper and celery. Cook for 6 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Stir in the water and cook another 2 minutes.
- Add shrimp and cook until shrimp are pink, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a boil and then lower heat to a simmer. Cook for 30 minutes.
- Serve with rice.