I like soup any time of year, but when the fall season arrives, I make soup all the time. Butternut squash works great for this creamy soup. A couple Thai chilies give some nice heat and the coconut milk adds a wonderful layer of flavor. This is really easy to make and perfect for that cool autumn day!
Spicy Butternut Squash Soup
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1 onion , diced
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 1-3 Thai chilies , halved and deseeded
- about 4 cups butternut squash , cut into cubes
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cups coconut milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a pot on medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic. Stir often so they do not burn. Cook until tender and beginning to caramelize, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the cubed butternut squash and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, lower heat to a simmer and cover pot with a lid. Cook until the squash is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the coconut milk. Puree with an immersion blender or upright blender. If needed, add more milk to reach desired thickness. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve hot.