This easy recipe for homemade beef barley is perfect for a cold winter day and an excellent way to use leftover roast beef. Hearty and delicious!
Beef barley soup is one of my favourite kinds of soup and I am not sure why, but I do not actually make it all that often. Whenever I do cook up a big pot of this soup, I vow to make it more frequently. You may often think of a hearty bowl of soup as a winter dish, but this beef barley works for me any day of the year!
I usually make this soup the day after we have a roast beef dinner. Leftover roast beef is ideal for soup and sometimes I cook up a prime rib or top sirloin roast, just so that I have an excuse to make this beef barley soup.
Barley is great for soup. It has a nutty texture and a great variation from rice, macaroni or diced potatoes in soup. I keep a container of dry pearl barley in the pantry for those soup day cravings.
How to make homemade soup
- The first step to making this soup is to sauté the onion, celery and carrots in a large stock pot with butter.
- While the veggies are cooking, you can dice up the beef. Cut them into small chunks. You can use either raw or cooked beef. I often make this soup when I have some leftover beef roast. It is an awesome way to use up the leftovers.
- Toss the cut up beef in the stock pot and stir. Cook for another 6-8 minutes.
- Dump in a can of diced tomatoes (28oz), beef broth, water and seasonings. Bring to a boil and reduce heat so that the soup is cooking at a low rolling boil.
- Dump in the pearl barley and continue to cook for 30-45 minutes.
This soup will have a rich and silky broth and is hearty, packed with beef, carrots, onion, celery and lots of barley! There is a lot of soup in this pot and it will feed a crowd. It is so hearty that I would not serve this before a main course. Homemade beef barley soup is a meal in itself.
Other soup recipes
Check out some of these other great classic soups!
Homemade Beef Barley Soup - easy recipe
- 1 cup onion , chopped
- 1 cup celery , chopped
- 1 cup carrots , chopped
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 cups leftover roast beef or stewing beef , finely chopped
- 7 cups water
- 7 cups beef broth
- 28 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 2 whole bay leaves
- In a large soup pot, cook onions, celery and carrots with the butter. Once the onions and celery are tender, about 6-8 minutes, stir in the beef.
- Cook, stirring often, for about 6-8 more minutes.
- Add the water, beef broth and diced tomatoes and seasonings. Bring to a boil and lower heat so that it is cooking at a low rolling boil.
- Dump in the barley and continue to let the soup cook at a low rolling boil for 30-45 minutes. The barley should be fully cooked and the beef should be tender.