This recipe for scalloped potatoes is one my mom has made for years. No one in our family was on a dairy free or gluten free diet. We just loved this version of scalloped potatoes and it is so simple to make with just a few ingredients you probably always have on hand. Potatoes, onions, oil, water and seasoning – that is it!
This scalloped potato recipe uses no milk, cheese, butter or flour, so it is perfect for people who try to limit or eliminate dairy or gluten from their diet.
People often serve scalloped potatoes with ham. They go very well together and is convenient since you can have both in the oven at the same time.
Here is a recipe with instructions for – How to Cook a Smoked Picnic Ham
If you are also looking for a nice vegetable side dish to go along with scalloped potatoes and ham – check out these options!
- Candied Carrots
- Bacon Cheddar Broccoli Bake
- Red Cabbage and Apples – Crock Pot Recipe
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Lay 1/3 of the sliced potatoes in a baking dish. Lay 1/3 of the onion slices. Season with some of the salt, pepper and thyme.
Lay two more layers of the sliced potatoes and onions. Pour the oil and water over the potatoes. Season with some more salt, pepper and thyme. If you want, you can use chicken broth in place of the water.
Bake covered in a 375F oven for 30 minutes. Remove the cover from the baking dish and cook for about 30 more minutes or until the potatoes are tender and cooked through.
Dairy Free Scalloped Potatoes
- 6 medium potatoes
- 2 onions
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/3 cup oil
- 2 cups water
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Thinly sliced the potatoes and onions.
- Lay out 1/3 of the sliced potatoes followed by 1/3 of the sliced onions in a baking dish. Season with some salt, pepper and thyme.
- Repeat previous step two more times to lay all the sliced potatoes and onion in the baking dish.
- Pour the oil and water over the potatoes and season with some more of the salt, pepper and thyme.
- Bake covered for 30 minutes. Remove the cover from the baking dish and cook for about 30 more minutes or until the potatoes are tender and cooked through.