I am always on the lookout for a new side dish. I had a bunch of broccoli in the fridge and wanted to do something more than steaming it. Being a big fan of anything baked with cheese and bacon, I figured turning the broccoli into a gooey cheesy bake with lots of crumbled bacon was a no brainer.
Wow was this delicious. I made a cheese white sauce with both cream cheese and cheddar that the broccoli was coated with. Lots of bacon and green onions gave lots of flavour to this dish. Every single bite was divine!
This is a dish that can be prepared in advance and kept in the fridge until ready to be baked. If that is done, then I would add an extra 10-15 minutes of time in the oven.
If you are looking for some other baked side dishes, check out these recipes!
- Bacon and Cheddar Smashed Potatoes
- Classic Homemade Mac and Cheese
- Dairy Free Scalloped Potatoes
- Loaded Cauliflower Pizza Style
- Roasted Curried Cauliflower
Bacon Cheddar Broccoli Bake
- 10 slices bacon
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/3 cup flour
- 8 oz cream cheese , (226g)
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 10 green onions , sliced
- 8 cups broccoli , cut into medium sized florets
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Cook the bacon until crispy. Drain and then crumble. Set aside.
- Steam the broccoli until almost tender. They should seem a little undercooked.
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan. Add the flour and stir until thoroughly mixed. Add in the cream cheese and stir until melted.
- Add the milk and spices. Stir until well heated but do not bring to a boil as that might scald the milk.
- Stir in 1 cup of the grated cheese and remove from the heat.
- Dump the broccoli in a 13x9 baking dish. Pour the cheese mixture over the broccoli. Sprinkle bacon (minus about 2 tablespoons) and sliced green onions (minus about 2 tablespoons). Gently fold so that the broccoli is coated in the cheese mixture and the bacon and green onions are mixed throughout.
- Evenly spread the broccoli in the baking sheet. Sprinkle remaining cheddar cheese, bacon and green onions on top.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until bubbly and the cheese is melted