I have made this recipe dozens of times and these are the best baked chicken wings I have ever had. The wings are nice and crispy with the classic buffalo sauce.
Chicken wings are easily the one food that I crave more than anything else and buffalo is my favourite sauce for wings. These baked buffalo chicken wings are easy to make since no deep fryer is needed.
These baked wings are super crispy and will actually taste like they have been deep fried.
More Dishes with Buffalo Flavour!
Buffalo sauce is so good and here are some other recipes to check out!
- Baked Buffalo Chicken Nuggets
- Deep Fried Buffalo Chicken Wings
- Buffalo Chicken Tater Tot Casserole
- Buffalo Potato Wedges
A Simple Coating for the Wings
Before the wings go in the oven, they are tossed in a simple dry coating.
Just three ingredients: baking powder, salt and pepper.
The baking powder will help crisp the skin. Make sure to use aluminum free baking powder as some people find that aluminum will have a bitter aftertaste.
How to Bake Chicken Wings?
Place the seasoned chicken wings on a baking sheet with a rack. This works very well for baking chicken wings and I like to put a sheet of parchment paper under the rack for easy clean up. If desired, you can spray the rack with cooking spray so the wings do not stick.
Put the wings in a 425F oven and bake for an initial 40 minutes.
Once the wings have been in the oven for 40 minutes, take them out and flip them over. Put them back in the oven for another 20 minutes, or until they are nice and crispy.
How to Make Buffalo Sauce?
While the wings are in the oven, it is time to make the sauce. Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium. Once the butter is melted, whisk in the remaining ingredients and heat for a few minutes. That’s it.
Once the sauce is hot, you can remove it from the heat and wait for the wings to finish in the oven.
The basic buffalo sauce is merely butter and hot sauce. I like to add a little bit of sugar because the tiny hint of sweet is a welcome addition to the sauce. Sometimes I will even add a squirt of ketchup or sriracha as I find that helps to emulsify the sauce and it coats the wings a little better.
Once the wings have finished cooking in the oven, it is time to toss them in the buffalo sauce. Make sure that once they are coated in the sauce, you serve them right away. The baked buffalo chicken wings are nice and crispy, but the longer they are in the sauce, the less crispy they will be.
What Kind of Dip for Buffalo Wings?
It is no surprise that when you order buffalo wings at a restaurant they come with some sauce for dipping. Typically, it is either ranch or blue cheese dip. I love both, but not everyone is a blue cheese fan, so ranch seems more common.
Check out these recipes for both dips.
Baked Buffalo Chicken Wings
- 2 pounds whole chicken wings
- 1 1/2 tbsp baking powder , aluminum free
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup hot sauce
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 cup ranch or blue cheese salad dressing , optional
- Cut the wings into three pieces: drummette, middle portion and tip. Discard the tips.
- In a small bowl, mix together the baking powder, salt and pepper
- Toss the seasoning with the cut up chicken wings until evenly coated.
- Place a wire rack on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Spray the wire rack with cooking spray.
- Place the wings on the wire rack and place in a 425F oven. Cook for 40 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and turn the wings over.
- Return the wings to the oven and cook for another 20 minutes, or until the skin looks crispy.
- While the wings are in the oven, make the sauce by melting the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in the hot sauce, sugar, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often, for a few minutes and then remove from the heat.
- Toss the wings in the sauce and serve with ranch dressing for a dip.