Buffalo Potato Wedges
These oven roasted potatoes are easy to make and have the flavour of buffalo chicken wings! The perfect side dish or party food for the big game.
I am really excited about today’s recipe. All of us have certain recipes we remember mom or dad making when we were kids. These dishes were not always the fanciest or required the most effort. Instead, there was something about the dish – the flavours, the love poured into the dish, or the memories the dish is connected to, that caused us to love it so much.
The dish I want to share with you today is a dish from my childhood. It is a recipe that my mom used to make as a side dish. I loved it so much that when my Cub Scout group was making a cookbook as a fundraiser, I insisted that she submit it as our contribution for the cookbook. More than 30 years have past and this is still a dynamite dish!
These potato wedges that my mom would make have a wonderful buffalo/BBQ sauce that caramelizes on the potatoes as they bake. Think buffalo wing sauce on potato wedges . These are seriously delicious!!!
Cut the potatoes into quarters then cut into the wedge every 1/2 inch. Cut down just to the skin. Do not cut all the way through the potatoes. This is quite similar to hasselback potatoes.
I like to line the baking sheet with some parchment paper. The buffalo sauce will drip onto the sheet and the parchment paper allows for very quick and easy clean up.
Make the buffalo sauce in a saucepan using the instructions in the recipe below. Then, brush the sauce on the quartered potatoes.
Bake the potatoes in a 425F oven for 35-45 minutes. Brush some more buffalo sauce on the wedges every 10-15 minutes. After 45 minutes the potatoes should be cooked through. Stick a knife in the fattest part of the wedge and if it goes in easily, then the potatoes are likely done.
These potato wedges are so good. The buffalo sauce is caramelized all over the outside and will crisp the potatoes on the edges. The inside of will be soft and fluffy.
Buffalo wings are one of my favourite appetizers and perfect for Super Bowl parties, New Years Eve and so much more. Here are some other great recipes with the buffalo wing flavour.
- Buffalo Chicken Wings
- Buffalo Chicken Tater Tot Casserole
- Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Grilled Buffalo Chicken Twice Baked Potatoes
- Spicy Buffalo Peanuts
Buffalo Potato Wedges
- 3 large russet potatoes
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 2 tbsp mustard
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- Melt the butter in a saucepan. On medium low heat, stir in the remaining ingredients, except the potatoes. Let the sauce simmer for 5-7 minutes (it is not necessary if it comes to a boil).
- Wash the potatoes and cut into quarters, lengthwise. Cut into the wedge every 1/2 inch, just down to the skin. Do not cut it all the way through.
- Brush the potatoes with the sauce.
- Bake in a 425F oven for 35-45 minutes. Every 15 minutes, brush the potatoes again with more sauce. As they bake the slits in the wedges will open up. Make sure when you brush the sauce, you get some in the slots as it adds to the flavour.
- To test the doneness of the potatoes, you can poke them with a fork or toothpick. If they are soft, they are done.