I love wings. We don’t eat out that often, but when we do, I often like to get wings. There are many flavors that I like, but my favorite has to be buffalo. Buffalo is the classic wing flavor and I love it when it is extra hot. Buffalo flavor has moved well beyond wings anymore and is now popular with potato chips, cans of soup and even Velveeta cheese.
I was craving buffalo chicken and decided it was time to make a buffalo chicken casserole. The buffalo chicken is covered with Tater Tots which are little bite size hash brown potatoes. They are found in the freezer section of your grocery store.
This buffalo chicken tater tot casserole is the perfect combination of great pub food and comfort food!
If you go to a restaurant and order buffalo wings, not only do you get awesome flavored wings, but you also usually get celery sticks and blue cheese ranch dip. They all work so well together and really seem to be part of the buffalo flavor experience.
So, I had to make sure that both blue cheese and the great crunch of celery made it in this casserole. The celery is not baked with the casserole, but instead sprinkled on the casserole just before serving. This provides a nice crunchy textural component for this casserole.
Mix the cubed cooked chicken breast with the buffalo sauce and spread it on the bottom of the 13×9 baking dish. Sprinkle the crumbled blue cheese on top of the buffalo chicken and then lay the Tater Tots on top of them. Lay them length wise and in straight lines as seen in the picture above.
Drizzle the reserved buffalo sauce over the Tater Tots and sprinkle with grated cheese. Bake in a 350F oven for 30-45 minutes. Remove from the oven and tops with the diced celery before serving.
This Tater Tot casserole turned out amazing. I love buffalo chicken in so many things and this dish is one of my new favourites.
I made another casserole with chicken and tater tots and it goes great alongside this buffalo chicken version.
Check out the other recipe here: Country Chicken Tater Tot Casserole.
Buffalo Chicken Tater Tot Casserole
- 4 cooked chicken breasts diced (about 2 pounds)
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1 cup hot sauce
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1 package (1kg) Tater Tots
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup diced celery
- Make the buffalo sauce by melting the butter in a saucepan on medium heat. Whisk in the hot sauce, garlic powder and salt. Let the sauce simmer for a few minutes and then remove from the heat and let cool to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Take 1/3 cup of buffalo sauce and set aside for later. Take remaining buffalo sauce, mix it with the cubed chicken and spread it in the bottom of a 13x9 casserole dish.
- Sprinkle the crumbled blue cheese on top of the buffalo chicken mixture.
- Take the Tater tots out of the freezer. Lay them, lengthwise and in straight lines (rows), evenly on the buffalo chicken and blue cheese. One bag (1kg or 2 pounds) of Tater Tots should be more than enough to cover the casserole dish.
- Drizzle the reserved buffalo sauce on top of the Tater Tots and sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Bake in the 350F oven for 30-45 minutes. Remove from the oven and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with diced celery before serving.