Yesterday, I posted a recipe for Buffalo Chicken Tater Tot Casserole. It was amazing, but I love anything with buffalo sauce. The casserole was fairly spicy but not everyone in my family likes hot food. I knew that and figured that it would be smart to make a second Tater Tot casserole of a different style.
I looked on the pantry shelves and in the fridge to see what I could use as the sauce for the chicken part of the dish. Seeing a can of cream of mushroom soup and some sour cream in the fridge made it easy. This dish is creamy, cheesy and so easy to make.
I was quite surprised at how good the Tater Tots were as a potato topping. For these types of casseroles, I would use mashed potatoes, but Tater Tots make this super easy to throw together.
I used a grated cheese blend of half mozzarella and half cheddar but any type of grated cheese could work.
Mix the cubed cooked chicken breast and frozen peas with the can of cream of mushroom soup, sour cream, Worcestershire sauce and spices.
Spread it on the bottom of the 13×9 baking dish. Lay the Tater Tots on top lengthwise and in straight lines as seen in the picture above.
Sprinkle with grated cheese. Bake in a 350F oven for 30-45 minutes. Remove from the oven and top with the sliced scallions (green onions) before serving.
Country Chicken Tater Tot Casserole
- 4 cooked chicken breasts diced
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 package (1 kg) Tater Tots
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 5 scallions (green onions), sliced
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Mix together the cream of mushroom soup, sour cream, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder and salt. Stir in the cubed chicken and peas until they are all coated in the cream mixture. Spread it in the bottom of a 13x9 casserole dish.
- Take the Tater Tots out of the freezer. Lay them, lengthwise and in straight lines (rows), evenly on the chicken and pea mixture. One bag (1kg or 2 pounds) of Tater Tots should be more than enough to cover the casserole dish.
- Top with grated cheese.
- Bake in the 350F oven for 30-45 minutes. Remove from the oven and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with sliced scallions before serving.