Fresh Mexican chorizo is made from ground pork and has a deep blend of Mexican seasonings. Quite versatile, chorizo is great used in many dishes. One of my favourite ways to use chorizo is for grilling burgers. Chorizo burgers are incredible and excellent with fresh sliced tomatoes, avocado and some cheese. Instead of grilling, these chorizo burgers were smoked and wow did they turn out awesome! Preparation was simple, as I mixed grated cheddar with the chorizo meat and then formed them into patties. I smoked them at 250F until they reached an internal temperature of 165F.
If you cannot find a source for fresh chorizo, you can make your own. I have a recipe for it which is quite simple to make, using ground pork and a bunch of seasonings. The recipe can be found here.
Smoked Chorizo Burgers
- 2 pounds fresh chorizo sausage meat (casings removed)
- 1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- In a large bowl mix together the chorizo meat with the grated cheddar cheese. Use your hands to knead the chorizo mixture until the cheese is mixed through the meat.
- Shape the chorizo mixture into 4 - 5 burgers and place them on smoker racks. Make sure the burgers are not touching.
- Start up the smoker, using wood of choice (hickory or whiskey oak works very well!). Bring the smoker up to a temperature of 250F.
- Place the burgers in the smoker and cook until the internal temperature reaches 165F.
- Serve on a burger bun with toppings and condiments of choice.