I love fish. This is a great way to have pickerel if you want it healthier than pan frying it. Also, it has a fun Asian flare! I steam my fish in an Asian bamboo steamer it takes about 15 minutes to do.
Steamed Pickerel with a Teriyaki Sauce
- 3 or 4 large pickerel fillets
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic , crushed
- 1 tsp ginger , minced
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 onion , thinly sliced or 1 bunch green onions cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 carrots , thinly sliced
- In a fry pan or small pot heat oil over medium high heat.
- Add garlic and ginger and cook 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add soy sauce and sugar and stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Bring to a boil, then lower heat.
- Add carrots and onions, stir and cover.
- Cook for 5-10 minutes or until carrots are tender.
- At the same time that you are making the sauce steam the pickerel for 10-15 minutes depending on thickness of the fish.
- To serve, place a fish on a plate and pour a liberal amount of the sauce on the fish.