This past Sunday was Mother`s day and we debated going out to a restaurant to celebrate. They are usually so busy on that day we therefore decided to have a nice meal at home. On the Sunday afternoon we stopped by Old Navy so Janna could use a gift card she received from the kids. Next to it was an East Side Mario’s and the line up outside was so large it confirmed to us our choice to eat at home was wise!
Home cooked food is always good, right???
Bruschetta bread is quite possibly the dish most requested in our house. Any time that I ask Janna what she wants for dinner, her go to response is bruschetta bread. So, it was quite obvious that when Mothers Day approached, she would be eager to have it as part of the dinner menu. I was happy to make it as bruschetta bread is easy to make, bright and fresh with wonderful flavour.
The sweetness of the tomatoes, the zip of the lemon juice and garlic, the saltiness of the feta and the fresh flavour of the oregano work so well together on a toasted baguette slice.
- 5 roma/plum tomatoes , diced
- 1/4 sweet onion , minced
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup crumbled feta
- 2 tbsp fresh oregano , minced
- 1 French baguette
- Make the bruschetta mixture by mixing tomatoes, onion, garlic, oil, lemon juice and salt in a bowl. Marinate the mixture in the fridge for 30-45 minutes.
- Cut the baguette in 1/2 inch slices on a diagonal. Toast them in a 425F oven for about 6-8 minutes. The baguette slices should begin to brown and feel crisp and toasty to the touch.
- Top each baguette slice with a spoonful of bruschetta mixture. Sprinkle with feta cheese and fresh oregano.