My wife loves pot lucks. She loves variety and a pot luck is the mother load of different dishes. Each time she approaches a pot luck spread, she goes straight to the salads. Any good pot luck has quite the mix of salads:
- potato salads
- macaroni salads
- lettuce salads
- jello salads – and by the way, when did jello ever get accepted as a type of salad. To me it is always a dessert.
- bean salads
- weird salads – there are always a couple salads at any good pot luck that make you wonder what the person making it was thinking. Some salads have a bizarre group of ingredients. Now this does not mean it will not taste good, I am just saying it may be odd!
- taco salad
Make sure that you only add the corn chips right before serving. One of the most important parts of this salad is the crunch from the chips and having them in for too long will cause them to get soggy.
Taco salad with romaine lettuce, ground beef, tomatoes, kidney beans, black olives, cheddar cheese, sour cream and Frito corn chips or nacho chips.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp hot sauce
- 1 head romaine lettuce , finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes , diced
- 1 can red kidney beans , drained
- 1 can sliced black olives , drained
- 1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1 bag of corn chips
- sour cream (optional)
- pickled jalapenos (optional)
Brown the ground beef in a skillet. Drain the grease and then stir the chili powder, salt and hot sauce in with the beef. Remove from the heat and let cool.
In a large salad bowl, add the romaine lettuce, tomatoes, beans, olives, cheese and ground beef. Toss until well mixed. (If desired, the salad can be placed in the fridge at this point for a couple of hours until serving time).
Crunch the corn chips they are well broken, but not as fine as a powder. Mix in with the salad.
Serve immediately so the corn chips stay crispy.