It is day 7 in the 24 Days of Christmas Baking and I am excited to share this unique sugar cookie. This cookie has a festive feel to it because of the green colour which comes from matcha powder. Matcha powder is finely milled green tea. This green tea powder can be used to make everything from drinks, to baked goods, noodles, to ice cream and more.
These cookies have the perfect amount of green tea flavour and the lemon butter cream frosting is is the perfect filling for these little sandwiches. These are great to have alongside a cup of green tea.
I used a mixture of sized cookie cutters to give the option for people. With a large platter with many different types of cookies, some people may go for the small sandwich cookie. Others, like myself, will always go for the larger one!
Green Tea Sandwich Cookies
- 1/2 cup butter , softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 cups flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp green tea powder (matcha)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3 cups powdered/icing sugar
- 3 tsp lemon juice
- 3-4 tsp milk
- Using an electric mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in the egg.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the baking powder, flour, salt and green tea powder. Gradually add it to the mixed wet ingredients, beating on low until fully combined and smooth.
- Flatten into a large circle, wrap in plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for 2 hours.
- Remove the dough from the fridge and roll it on a floured surface 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. Cut into shapes with a cookie cutter. Place the cookies on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake in a 350F oven for 8-10 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack.
- Make the frosting by beating together the butter with the powdered sugar until smooth and creamy. Add the lemon juice and milk and beat until light and fluffy.
- Spread a tablespoon of frosting on one cookie. Top with another cookie to make a sandwich.