Always on the lookout for a new salad, I got an idea while I was in the grocery store the other day. I saw some nice zucchini and yellow summer squash on sale and thought they would be great in a fresh salad. I thinly sliced the zucchini and yellow squash to make the salad almost like a slaw. For the dressing, I used a bunch of Mediterranean flavors, including olive oil, white wine vinegar, lemon juice, oregano and garlic.
This salad tastes best if the veggies are able to marinate in the dressing for a while – overnight is best. Just before serving, I sprinkled some crumbled feta on top which added a nice texture and saltiness to the salad. This is great for the summer and perfect alongside grilled steak, chicken, burgers and more!
Zucchini and Yellow Squash Salad
- 1 zucchini
- 1 yellow squash
- 1 red pepper
- 2/3 cup crumbled feta
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 garlic clove , minced
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp fresh ground pepper
- Thinly slice the zucchini, yellow squash and red pepper with a knife, a mandolin, or a food processor slicing disk.
- Make the dressing, by mixing together the oil, vinegar, lemon juice, sugar, garlic,oregano, salt and pepper.
- Toss the sliced vegetables with the dressing and let them marinate for at least 2 hours, preferably overnight.
- Just prior to serving, stir in the crumbled feta.