Cornbread Mini Muffins
Cornbread is a perfect tasty side for so many dishes. I love cornbread with chili, stew, black eyed peas, collard greens and almost any BBQ (ribs, chicken and so much more). While I have always loved any kind of cornbread, ever since I made these cornbread mini muffins, they might just be the ultimate way to enjoy some cornbread.
These cornbread mini muffins are bite sized deliciousness! They are moist in the middle and super crispy on the outside. Any time I make these, people keep going back for more of these muffins and they get gobbled up so quick.
The muffin tins I used are a pair of Lodge cast iron mini muffin tins. Each muffin tin makes 6 mini muffins. I love making cornbread using cast iron because it creates a super crispy crust. The crust is the best part of the cornbread for me and these mini muffins have some tasty crust in every bite.
If you don’t have cast iron mini muffin tin, any mini muffin tin will work just fine! Just follow the recipe, but you might find that the baking time may vary depending on the type of muffin tin.
The first step in making cornbread batter is by dumping all the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Use a whisk to mix up all the dry ingredients.
In a separate bowl mix together the egg, milk and oil until well mixed. Pour the wet ingredients in the bowl with the dry ingredients and use a rubber spatula to fold the batter just to the point that the dry mixture is all wet. Try not to over mix.
Preheat the oven to 350F. To get the outside of the cornbread mini muffins crispy, you need to heat up the muffin tin before it is filled with the batter. Place the empty mini muffin tin in the oven for 10 minutes.
After the mini muffin tin has been in the oven for 10 minutes, take it out and use a pastry brush to coat the bottom and sides of the muffin tins with the melted butter.
Spoon the batter into the muffin tin. Place in the oven and bake for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick stuck in the centre comes out clean.
Once the mini muffins are done, take them out of the oven and let them cool slightly for about 5 minutes. Letting the muffins cool, allows them to be removed easily from the tin. I find that all you need to do is gently turn the muffin and it will come right out. If it doesn’t seem to want to leave, gently run a knife along the sides and the muffin should pop right out.
Over the years, I have made lots of different types of cornbread. Not only can you add different stuff to the cornbread to make it more hearty, but I also like
- Skillet Cornbread with Bacon Cheddar and Green Onions – This cornbread is full of so much good stuff! Bacon, cheddar cheese and green onions. This cornbread is amazing!
- Cast Iron Skillet Cheddar Cornbread -This is a classic cornbread that is moist in the middle and crispy on the outside from being made in a cast iron skillet.
- Cornbread Jalapeno Poppers – These jalapeño poppers have cornbread batter as the filling and are then topped with grated cheddar cheese.
- Cheddar Jalapeno Cornbread Cake Pop – These savoury cake pops are cheesy, spicy and super tasty!
- Hush Puppies – While not exactly cornbread, a batter very similar to cornbread is dropped into hot oil and deep fried.
Cornbread Mini Muffin
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 3/4 cup flour
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tbsp butter , melted
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Place mini muffin tins in the oven to heat up.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, oil and milk.
- Using a rubber spatula, fold the wet mixture into the dry mixture until just combined.
- Take the muffin tin out of the oven. Brush the melted butter generously on the bottom and sides of each mini muffin cavity. Spoon some of the batter evenly into the mini muffin mold.
- Place the muffin tin in the oven and bake for 20-23 minutes, or until a toothpick stuck in the middle of a mini muffin comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let cool slightly before trying to remove mini muffins.